Friday, March 7, 2014




A STUDENT PERSPECTIVE ON HER FITBIT

I’ve used my Fitbit for a little over five months now and have accumulated over a million steps, or 461 miles. As a runner, competing throughout the year at EHS, I’ve always been curious about how far I am really going, and how active I really am. The most important lesson that the Fitbit has taught me is that without track, I would not be hitting the recommended 10,000 steps a day. On the days I have off, I barely accumulate 3,000. I’m still not sure whether that is because I feel I have earned the days off because of my hard work on the track during the week, or if I’m really just that lazy. It’s easy to fall into a habit of not exercising, especially without a sport, and the Fitbit has definitely shown that.
What’s deceiving, especially as a student, is that during the school day I was not nearly as active as I thought I was. Before wearing a Fitbit, I predicted that I accumulated at least a mile a day rushing from class to class. I was sadly mistaken. At 2:30 each day, I’d check my steps, only to be disappointed. I didn’t even make it half a mile most days. Our lifestyles don’t naturally incorporate sufficient exercise, so we have to purposely include it in our daily lives.
My coach once told me I would never be able to improve something I couldn’t measure. With the Fitbit, it’s possible to measure my activity throughout the day with quantitative evidence. And the motivation to hit 10,000 steps every single day is what keeps me going.





WINTER FARMERS MARKETS

Do you miss the fresh food from the warmer months and going to the farmers market during the long winter? 

On Saturday, March 8, there is a winters farmers market being held in Exeter High School. There will be over forty different fisherman, farmers and other food producers selling their fresh, locally grown products. There will be a variety of veggies, cheese, seafood, meats, baked goods and much much more. 

If you can't make it that Saturday there will be another one on Saturday, March 22, in Rollinsford at the Wentworth Greenhouses, which is near Dover.